The icon's son on his mother's wellness philosophy
In a recent interview with Yahoo! Health, Audrey Hepburn's youngest son, Luca Dotti, discusses his mother's wellness philosophy and how she led a healthy life not only because it was the right thing to do, but because it made her happy. Here, a few key highlights from the interview and how her practices still apply today:
1) Drink a lot of water: "She insisted so much on everybody...drinking a lot of water...She was really about drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of vegetables. It was a matter of how she was brought up."
2) Eat meat sparingly: "She ate meat, but very little, in little doses. She [ate] 80 percent fruit and vegetables."
3) Don't fear aging: "She had a very healthy vision of her own seasons. She wasn't afraid at all of getting old. Of course she was complaining about the wrinkles, the white hair, but she really enjoyed her older years."
4) Make potatoes a staple: "Potatoes were a big, big part of her diet...for her, they were a sustainable thing."
5) Enjoy the little things in life: "She had more than a positive outlook. She was naïve in the sense that she was like a young girl. Every time that she found something new, or went to a market, or got a new recipe, she wasn't blasé. She was so excited, like a little girl. She took life by the day."
Read the full interview on Yahoo.com.